As much as you want your four-legged friend to stay in peak health, you can’t help but worry about their comfort and safety. At Hanover Veterinary Hospital, we understand that you do not want to entrust your pet’s care to just anyone. This is why we utilize premium surgery protocols to perform your pet’s surgery in the safest way possible.
Surgeries We Perform
At Hanover Veterinary Hospital, our doctors perform a wide range of soft tissue surgeries including:
- Spaying and neutering
- Mass removals
- Exploratory surgery
- Cystotomy (removal of bladder stones)
- Foreign body removal
- Gastropexy (tacking of the stomach to prevent or correct bloat)
- Entropion (correction of folded or deformed eyelid)
- Enucleations (removal of the eye)
- Cherry Eye Correction
Our Surgical Protocols
Not all surgical teams are created equal. We make use of recent advances to approach your pet's surgery in the safest way possible. We realize that every pet owner wants the best for their pet. Since surgical and anesthetic procedures are probably the most important procedures your pet will ever undergo, we put your pet's safety and comfort ahead of everything else.
What makes our pet surgery protocol superior?
- Before every surgical procedure, each pet is examined carefully by a doctor
- A treatment plan is tailored to the pet's specific health status, age, and breed
- Preoperative blood testing screens for conditions like liver or kidney disease
- Intravenous catheter placement allows for IV medications and emergency situations
- Intravenous fluids support your pet's kidneys, heart, blood pressure and electrolyte balance
- Drugs are chosen using the shortest-acting effect possible for the procedure
- Mandatory pain management both before, during, and after painful surgical procedures
- Local anesthetics are used where appropriate to provide additional pain relief
- Endotracheal intubation allows oxygen supplementation and a clear airway
- Hot-air blowers surround your pet in body-temperature air to help prevent hypothermia
- Isoflurane Gas Anesthesia provides a great safety margin and rapid recovery
- Vitals monitoring with EKG, oxygen, CO2, pulse and blood pressure monitors
- Sterile gowns, drapes, and instruments are used for each and every procedure
- Intensive after-surgery care and heat to support a rapid and comfortable recovery
- Re-check appointments as needed to check healing and remove any sutures
Important Information for Pet Owners
We understand mornings can be busy, and it may not be possible to make it to the vet during drop-off hours. For your convenience, we offer a free one-night stay at the clinic for your pet the night before their surgery if you are unable to drop them off in the morning.
After surgery, your pet’s doctor will update you on their condition and give instruction for at-home follow-up care. In the two-weeks after your pet’s surgery, we offer free follow-up visits to ensure their recovery is progressing as it should.
If you have any questions about our surgical services or need to schedule an appointment for your pet, please call us at (219) 374-9443.
We feel blessed that our African Grey (Miracle) was taken care of so very well. We will definitely be back! Thank you once again. -Linda E.
I think Leia has enjoyed boarding here. Everyone is helpful and kind with her! I will continue to bring her when I need to. -Juanita F.
We came in as a walk in. Scooby had an ear infection and his eye had swelled up. Hanover treated him as if he was a long time patient. His eye was back to normal the next day. We are still treating the ear infection. But he's back to his old self. Thank you for such great care. -Timothy M.
Everyone was smiling and treated us so kindly. No long wait. Dr. B was awesome. He didn’t rush and made sure to cover all aspects of Stella’s care. All personnel treated Stella so sweetly. -Shirley O.
All the Drs. and techs at Hanover are wonderful and always treat the animals with care and compassion........ as well as treating their human customers with understanding and always have time to listen and help with any concern!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! -Deborah S.
Everyone is always so kind and caring and always explain everything well. When boarding our dog we never worry because he is happy when we pick him up so I know they treat him well. -Diane T.